Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac/sv.tmac: Set hyphenation flags to 48.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac/sv.tmac: Set hyphenation flags to 48.
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 07:00:02 +0100 (CET)

>     and Ian Hinchliffe, Routledge 2013, section 12.4.1.1 (page 674):
>
>     "Compound words may be divided into their separate
>     elements...Prefixes and suffixes may be treated the same way:
>
>       an‐befall‐a     juster‐bar      o‐vän‐lig"
>
>     Note the first and last examples.

While this might be true in general for Swedish...

>     I therefore conclude that the correct hyphenation flags for
>     Swedish are either 48 or 50.  Going with 48 as a closer parallel
>     to the English default of 1 (permitting hyphenation of words at
>     the end of a column or page).

... the hyphenation patterns we are using disagree:

  % The patterns were generated in such a way that they will hyphenate
  % correctly if \lefthyphenmin>=1 and \righthyphenmin>=2.

I thus ask you to revert your change (but correcting the error, of
course :-)

As discussed already, the right fix would be to make groff derive the
left and right hyphen minimum values directly from the hyphenation
pattern files.

If you have time, please update all pattern files from the data in the
`tex-hyphen' repository, for example,

https://github.com/hyphenation/tex-hyphen/blob/master/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/hyph-sv.tex

(and applying the necessary massaging for groff).  All those files now
have YAML headers that help identify those values easily.

>     I asked on the mailing list but didn't get much response:
>
>     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2018-06/msg00036.html

This has slipped my attention, sorry.