Re: [groff] mom manpage

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] mom manpage
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 21:39:35 +0100

Hi Ulrich,

Ulrich Lauther wrote on Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 09:23:20PM +0100:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 03:29:36PM +0100, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

>> Quite the contrary.  Less allows searching the page using
>> regular expressions, which actually helps a lot.  Many html

> A real life example:
>
> I want to read an answer from stdin into a variable, but - as I do
> not shell programming every day - do not remember how.
> Searching for "read" in the man page leads me to the wanted position
> after about 200 times hitting the "n" key. Next I try " read ".
> Still about 50 key hits.
> Try man bash | grep read | wc

   $ man -k any=read | grep shell
  csh(1) - a shell (command interpreter) with C-like syntax
  ksh, rksh(1) - public domain Korn shell
  system(3) - pass a command to the shell

   $ man -O tag=read ksh
  read [-prsu[n]] [parameter ...]
      Reads a line of input from the standard input, separates the line
      into fields using the IFS parameter (see Substitution above), and
      assigns each field to the specified parameters.  If there are
  [...]

  The above is the same as:  https://man.openbsd.org/ksh#read

No /-searching needed in less(1) for your example if you have a
good man(1) command.

Of course, in many cases, /-searching is still useful.

Yours,
  Ingo