Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 21:22:42 +1100

If my opinion matters in this discussion, then I'm tentatively opposed to
this change. Reasons:
— Folks limited to ASCII environments may be using a screen font with more
suitable-looking quotes (e.g., Gallant)
— Regression tests that assert man(1) output will break on systems with a
modern groff(1) installed
— We're applying polish to a +50-year old documentation system whose
biggest feature is *remaining unchanged.*

However, I won't protest or lose sleep if this goes through. :-)

*> The point is sane defaults, *not* customization.*

Man, you would REALLY hate Emacs... ;-)