Re: [groff] devutf8 on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [groff] devutf8 on Windows
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 17:52:45 +0200

> From: Jeff Conrad <address@hidden>
> CC: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 00:55:45 +0000
>
> > You can verify the results with a dependency walker:
> >
> >   http://www.dependencywalker.com/
> >
> > Or, if you have GNU Binutils, you do this:
> >
> >   objdump -x PROGRAM.exe | fgrep "DLL Name:"
> >
> > where PROGRAM.exe is your test program.
>
> As I suspected, I don’t have it.  MSVC won’t even let me link it (or I’m
> not doing it right).

you mean, you don't have objdump?  Then download Dependency Walker
from the above URL and use that.

> CP1252 seems to work fine for me.

With Lucida Console font, I presume?  Try the Raster Fonts for a
change, and you will see something very different, I think.

> Ultimately, though, what’s the alternative? “Yer screwed”?  ASCII, with
> its weird quotes (fixed on my system years ago, but still a typewriter)?
> Like I had in 1987 ... somethin’ doesn’t seem right.

My alternative is to use Emacs ;-)  It can display UTF-8 on Windows
without any problems.

> It seems like it just shouldn’t be this difficult ... silly me.

Some day it will be.  But not today.