grub-devel

Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: normal vs. rescue mode commands
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:28:24 +0200

> Ok. As others seem to have no opinion, let's go in this way.
>
> Then, how about the naming convention? We need to have a standard way to
> distinguish between normal mode loaders and rescue mode loaders by file
> names. That is why I prefixed loaders with '_'. But I don't think an
> underscore is so good.
>
> And, at the same time, I'd like to make all filenames fit into the
> DOS-style (8.3 filenames), so that we don't need to use VFAT on FAT
> filesystems. I think this is better, because Microsoft claims that they
> have a software patent about the long filename extension... *sigh*
>
> What do you think?
>
> Okuji

Moreover we can use iso9660 level 1 naming standard (8.3, restricted alphabet).
This will let us boot from CD's without Rockridge/Joilet (Once I tried
to burn grub in Win and I failed because there was no rr).

here are some proposals

loader_r.mod for rescue mode
loader_n.mod for normal mode

or

loader.mod for rescue mode
loader_n.mod for normal mode
and normal.mod will try to load '_n' variant of each loaded module (and
  normal mode insmod will do the same)

I like '_x' because it looks like 'x' variant of module.

PS.: Somebody told me, that M$ has patent about double click.
--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik