grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] add "enter" command

From: M. Gerards
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] add "enter" command
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:50:33 +0200

Quoting "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden>:

> On Tuesday 14 September 2004 03:12, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > This command allows one to drop from the Grub prompt to the Open
> > Firmware prompt, then resume Grub again. This is very very useful to
> > inspect the state of the device tree, or run the "reset-all" command
> > (reboot).
>
> I feel that "enter" is too generic. Is there any better name?
> "openfirmware"?

Actually, we can make it something generic.  I can imagine it is
possible to go back to the firmware with other kinds of firmware
as well.  How about something unix like, "suspend" for example.
Other than that we could implement generic commands like "exit", "reboot",
"halt", "powerdown", for example.

--
Marco