grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] soft-float

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] soft-float
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:24:37 +0000

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

> This patch allows the Total Impact briQ
> (http://www.totalimpact.com/products/the_briq/the_briq.html) to boot GRUB.
> The briQ's firmware does not set MSR:FP; however, floating point registers
> are used as per the PPC SVR4 ABI to pass variable argument lists. This
> results in a fatal exception.

Oh, neat!

> Our options are either to enable MSR:FP ourselves or to disable this
> behavior. Either is easy enough, but since there is no real reason to use
> FP in GRUB I chose to disable it.

You mean we have to choose between hardware floating point
calculations or doing this in software?  If it is possible, it would
be nice to do this in hardware, also because this will reduce the code
size.

But floating point instructions are not used that much so I will apply
this patch.

Thanks,
Marco