grub-devel

Re: Automagic command loading

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Automagic command loading
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:43:08 +0200

On Friday 01 October 2004 23:56, Tomas Ebenlendr wrote:
> But I have folowing questions:
>
>     1.) Should I throw away current implementation, or should there
> be a module with this implementation (e.g. autocmd_elf.mod).

If you think it is useful, you can commit it. But I don't see any
benefit if we have another implementation.

>     2.) I think, that having information about supported commands in
>     module is not bad. I can write tool, to read it (and generate
>     autocmd.lst from this information). Advantage will be following:
>     User1 compiles his own module and sends it to User2. User2 will
> copy the module on proper location and run:
>       grub-mod-read-cmds the_module.mod >> autocmd.lst

It sounds to me the same as telling User2 this:

echo foo foo.mod >> autocmd.lst

But it is up to you how to build autocmd.lst. If you think it is easier
to use an ELF section, why not. But I'm a bit afraid of a too much
dependency upon ELF.

Okuji