grub-devel

iterate return values

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: iterate return values
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:57:15 -0600

I'm having trouble seeing my Apple-partitioned disk with pc.mod loaded. The trouble seems to be a misunderstanding about how iterate methods should return.

When a hook is passed to grub_partition_iterate, it is applied to partmap->iterate. However, the partition map's iterate functions can return non-zero in case of error (such as "not a PC partition map"). Non-zero is then propagated back to grub_partition_map_iterate, and the iteration stops. In that case we should clearly keep going to try another partition map type.

However, the other case is that the hook itself returned non-zero, indicating it wishes to stop the iteration. As far as I can see there is no way to distinguish this from the above case. Or are there actually any hooks that want to stop iteration? If not, the test in grub_partition_map_iterate can go. (But that doesn't seem to fix my problem either... sigh.)

-Hollis