grub-devel

Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:44:31 -0600

On Feb 20, 2005, at 11:50 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

If a user installs GRUB now with this bootargs patch, then later if we
wish to add a debug option with "fancy parser" they will no longer be
able to boot, as the syntax will change.

Now: "boot grubof hd0,6"
Later: "boot grubof prefix=hd0,6 debug=all"

I do not like the prefix= syntax.  What I want is:

Now: "boot grubof (hd0,6)"
Later: "boot grubof (hd0,6) --debug=all"

Users trying to boot with the old syntax will fail.

In my case it will still work. :)

In your case we are stuck with an inflexible syntax forever. There is a reason that commandline tools use named switches, and do not require them in any particular order.

-Hollis