grub-devel

Re: partition layouts - "root"

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: partition layouts - "root"
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:53:55 -0500

On Apr 5, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

root is not a command but a variable in GRUB 2.

Actually, I see now that it is a command: grub_rescue_cmd_root() in
kern/rescue.c. Is that only a rescue mode thing? That seems to be
exactly what I need... aside from the very confusing use of "root"
meaning where GRUB finds the kernel and "root" meaning where Linux
finds /sbin/init.

Personally I do not care about if GRUB is confusing for linux users.
As I see it, GRUB is not only a linux loader.

I see that Mach also uses "root" as a kernel argument. I certainly agree that GRUB is not only a Linux loader. However I strongly disagree that we should intentionally confuse Linux users.

Perhaps using "grubroot", "grubprefix", "grubbase", or similar will be acceptable?

I cannot find any grub_env_get("root") callers.

I thought I have changed the command to the variable.  But perhaps
this was only done for prefix (although that would be weird...).  In
that case we need a `root' variable.  It is high on my todo list now,
but don't rely too much on me and my todo list and please write it if
you need it.  It is the right thing to do it this way.

So each menu entry should look something like this?
        title foo
                set root=bar
                multiboot /kernel

-Hollis