grub-devel

Re: Scripting and keystrokes

From: Serbinenko Vladimir
Subject: Re: Scripting and keystrokes
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:47:34 +0200

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

>On Sunday 12 June 2005 10:54, Serbinenko Vladimir wrote:
>

>>Which scripting: I propose to make bash-like scripting and make it so
>>close as possible to bash
>>

>Agreed.

OK. But question about realization is still open. All ideas are welcome

>>2) Keystrokes: emulation of keypress: just write keys in buffer before
>>booting. I propose to add array of functions grub_preboot that will be
>>launched between grub_machine_fini and grub_loader_boot_func and
>>functions grub_add_preboot and grub_remove_preboot
>>And command syntax like:
>>keystroke [<first key> [<second key> [...]]]
>>Example
>>keystroke h e l l o
>>Space is needed because some keys can't be written with one symbol like:
>>F1, insert, ...
>>ex:
>>keystroke F8 down enter
>>

>Can you describe the expected usage of this? For chain-loading Windows?

It's useful for loading some OS in special modes when it checks if you
press special key to enter special mode but it goes too fast and you
can't press it fast enough after pressing enter in GRUB.
Often it's failsafe modes. Sometimes I had this problem with windows
when it bugs and I can't enter in failsafe-mode because it goes too fast.
Another usage: chainloading boot-managers.
If you install other manager for special OS you can choose from GRUB
directly the configuration like: down down enter.
Not only boot-managers but also some OS like DOS including FreeDos if
multiple configurations are present in config file.
Ex: As I heard GRUB has problems loading FreeBSD. So you can install
FreeBSD native bootloader even have multiple BSD and/or configurations
and choose it from GRUB.