grub-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] Journal playback

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Journal playback
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:49:34 +0200

On Monday 08 August 2005 13:46, Marco Gerards wrote:
> The size of a filesystem module is now about 4KB.  We do not know yet
> how much the size will increase when journaling is possible.

According to the experience in GRUB Legacy, it will increase the size by 1KB
or so. Since pre-loaded modules are compressed, it won't be be that much.

> The data should not be written to the filesystem.  Instead the
> journal should be played back for the data that is read.  I am not yet
> sure if it is possible, easy and fast enough.  But I do think it is
> worthwhile to consider journaling support.

It should be feasible, since Jochen succeeded to implement journaling support
for ReiserFS in GRUB Legacy. In GRUB 2, it should be much easier, because we
can use more memory dynamically.

Okuji