grub-devel

Re: vesafb terminal for testing.

From: Vladimir Serbinenko
Subject: Re: vesafb terminal for testing.
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:06:54 +0200

Vincent Pelletier wrote:

> Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
>
> >Just to give you some ideas,
>

> Same here :) (from simple to ambitious) :
> -Pictures corresponding to entries (set a background/in front
> of/near/instead of)
> -customisable positions for menu entries (ubuntu could out them in
> circle over their logo as background, things like that)
> -Subentries

Exactly the thing that I planned to do the next (it's a part of
scripting support)

> -some generic & skinable widgets (?)

We don't need to make the whole thing absolutely skinnable (just the
basic skins)
if we make like I proposed (menus like terminals, in modules) because if
someone wants to
change completely the look he can just write a new menu module.

> -mouse handling (??)

It must not be difficult: we can just port mouse.com from FreeDos or use
any other
mouse implementation. But here we also need the general interface because
there are different mouse types: PS/2, USB, serial (old PC), perhaps
something else
exotical. It could be something like
register_mouse_click_callback (void (*mouse_callback) (int x, int y, int
flags));
remove_mouse_click_callback (void (*mouse_callback) (int x, int y, int
flags));
and flags are like GRUB_MOUSE_LEFT, GRUB_MOUSE_RIGHT,
GRUB_MOUSE_DOUBLE,... and callback checks itself we it has to react to
this click
but mouse support can be added at any moment. Now the most important
questions is how
to make the *general/basic* things to ensure the maximum flexibility in
the future as
Yoshinori K. Okuji said in about 6 months we have to block them: don't
change them anymore.
The mouse support and fancy menu interface can be written even after but
now we must decide
what's the best way to write basic things, so we don't have to create
any incompatibility and
in preference without touching kernel code at all: just write the module
to add fancy
menu or mouse support or anything else.

> Vincent Pelletier

                       Vladimir