grub-devel

Re: sparc64 port

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: sparc64 port
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:36:51 +0200

On Saturday 20 August 2005 13:40, Vincent Pelletier wrote:
>       * boot/sparc64/ieee1275/cmain.c: New file.

This is wrong. I guess you just followed the powerpc port, but it is also
wrong. Instead, this file must be put in the kernel. The directory boot is
used to organize files for the bootstrap of the kernel, which are not a part
of the kernel.

In principle, the kernel should not be linked with a file in another
directory. Unfortunately, this is not always true, in order to solve "chicken
and egg" problems. Nevertheless, we should try to make the kernel as much
independent of other directories as possible.

>       * kern/sparc64/cache.c: New file.

The contents of this file is strange. Why don't you simply include
grub/cache.h?

About the ChangeLog:

Please do not mention new directories. They are not worth describing, because
they don't cause bugs, and they are not related to copyright problems.

Please use simply "Likewise" when you repeat the same description. This is not
obligatory, but often easier to read.

Okuji