grub-devel

Re: Video subsystem draft

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Video subsystem draft
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:29:14 +0200

Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> Just in case you (or someone else) want to test current version, I have
> uploaded it to:
> http://jumi.lut.fi/~vjaaskel/grub2/grub2-video-20051126.tar.gz
>
> I noticed that when ever I call grub_error something brakes, but what is
> doing it I can't tell. There is a testerr3 function in video/video.c
> that tries to demonstrate when does the corruption occur.
>
> Oh.. and before anyone asks, video implementation is not still complete.
> Code itself probably wont compile in other archs. But I think the
> interface itself could be OK. But it needs to mature a bit. VGA module
> is disabled until I have time to look how to modify it to fit new system.

Here is most up to date version:
http://jumi.lut.fi/~vjaaskel/grub2/grub2-video-20051128.tar.gz

I need to do more checks that everything works correctly and verity that
all features are present. So it is still not ready to be committed. I
think that it currently has all basic functionality that is provided by
older graphic terminals (except color changing).

When I was testing scrolling functionality and writing some garbage from
keyboard, at around column 79/80 all the rest characters on line gets
corrupted. I am not sure is this related to that other issue, but if
someone gets some ideas where the problem could come I would like to
hear about it.

I noticed that there are some hard coded 79's in command line parsing,
but hadn't got enough time yet to investigate it.

Quick help how to test it yourself (/dev/fd0 contains valid floppy):

cd grub2.video
./configure
make && ../makegrub

There is grub.cfg included that loads all necessary modules.

After booting:
terminal videoterm