grub-devel

Re: mkfs command in grub

From: Tomáš Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: mkfs command in grub
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:03:26 +0100 (CET)

On 11 Březen 2006, 21:46, Marco Gerards napsal(a):
> "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> The main reason for this feature request was that swap space can be
>>> shared between windows and GNU/Linux this way.  So you can make a fat
>>> filesystem when booting windows and a swap filesystem when booting
>>> GNU/Linux.  Although this is not something really important for us, I
>>> do see the use of such feature.
>>
>> So? Why does a boot loader have to deal with that? Is a swap partition
>> creation critical for booting? Why don't you just make a swap partition
>> in
>> the boot process of each operation system and activate it? I really
>> don't see
>> this as a task for a boot loader.
>
> Heh, now I am defending a feature I don't really want, need or care
> about myself.  It's just that the idea is not that bad, not that I
> want it or so.
>
> The problem of the person who proposed this, is that he can not change
> some of his operating systems.  Which of course is a problem of
> non-free software.
>
> --
> Marco

But he can use swapfile that is already created on that filesystem for
linux. As windoze need no checksum or magic identifying a swapfile, he
needs only to run mkswap on that file on each boot. (This is the way I
solved this problem. But I think that windoze should support swap
partition, because I can't make them to stop displaying warnings about
small amount of free space on partition with swap file. Or I have lot of
unused space on that partition.)

--
                                            Tomas 'Ebi' Ebenlendr
                                            http://get.to/ebik