grub-devel

Re: update on the planning

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: update on the planning
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 20:07:24 +0200

Hi Marco,

On Friday 05 May 2006 13:48, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Eventually this has to happen if we want people to use GRUB 2.  So I
> agree with that.  It's to soon for me to determine if November is
> reasonable or not.  But if we want to pick a date, this date is as
> good as any.  At least it is not too soon or late for my feeling.

:)

> For me it will mean that scripting should be finished soon.  At least
> the rough work and functionality.  Same for networking interfaces, the
> GUI layering splitup and we have to determine before that what should
> be a command and what should go into a variable.  But let's not
> discuss this right here, right now.

Please do not harass yourself with this. ;)

I mean that GRUB 2 should not introduce incompatibility after 1.96 _against
GRUB 2_ rather than GRUB Legacy. So as long as you are careful, you can add
more features later. In fact, I have added a lot of new features into GRUB
Legacy without losing any backward compatibility. Since GRUB 2 has a cleaner
design, I expect that this would be even easier.

The goal is that the user can start to use GRUB 2 while not scared of a
breakage due to incompatible changes. This also eases the documentation
significantly. In GRUB Legacy, this way worked very well. I was even
surprised that it was not necessary to release a public version at all. :p

As you said, it is necessary to make this kind of decision at a point,
although it has been fun that we don't have to care about incompatibility for
these 3 years. Yet, we still have 6 months in my plan, so you don't have to
feel threatened.

Okuji