grub-devel

Re: Grub for ia64

From: bibo,mao
Subject: Re: Grub for ia64
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:06:49 +0800

It is great!!!, I will test on my IA64 box tommorrow. And I have few minor
comments like this. whether kern/ia64/efi/init.c can be common for all architectures of efi
platform, only grub_arch_sync_caches is different, this function can be placed
on arch specific place. Function find_mmap_size can fit for all architectures.

   why write different grub_efi_allocate_pages/grub_efi_free_boot_pages, we can
modify these two functions to fit for all architecture EFI platform.

thanks
bibo,mao

address@hidden wrote:
Hi

this is a port of grub2 to ia64.  ia64 systems (itanium) are EFI based so this
port reuse existing EFI infrastructure.

I have made 4 patches:

efi64.diffs: fix a 64 bits issue of efi/api.h
fat.diffs: fix 64bits issues and make filename match case insensitive.

[I think most 64 bits issues have already been reported recently and
independently by the mail grub2 64bit system compatible]

ia64.diffs: ia64 specific files

modules.diffs:
currently the ia64 port cannot load modules.  This patch makes slight changes
so that grub can be completly prelinked without removing the dynamic loading
feature.
I think it is worth for three reasons:
* it makes initial port easier.
* the current common code can't work on ia64 (on ia64 a function pointer is a
descriptor and not the address of the first function instruction).
* grub-emu doesn't have dynamic modules and could reuse this work to remove
most of #ifdef/#endif GRUB_UTIL

I have also written a few additionnal EFI specific commands I will post later.

Tristan.