grub-devel

grub and DiskOnChip devices.

From: Todd Denniston
Subject: grub and DiskOnChip devices.
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:16:37 -0500

Hello,
when I looked through the notes in the source and the grub2 (and grub) website I did not see anything indicating that either of the current unpatched releases of grub could work with a DiskOnChip flash device. This was a little surprising considering there have been supposedly working patches[1] since November 2003. Did I miss something?

It looks like Okuji believed at one time[2] ilgiz had not gotten the assignment forms done, but ilgiz later[3] indicated ilgiz had gotten the forms in and had received FSF confirmation. Also dwmw2 indicated[4] his assignment forms were in for his changes.

Are there other reasons that the patches never got included in grub?

Is there any reason other than the assignment forms, that the concepts (and hopefully _some_ of the working code) from the patches can't be incorporated into grub2?

Are there ways to confirm with folks at the FSF that the assignment forms are done?

If you had not noticed, I would really have liked to have been able to use a grub instead of lilo with this device.

[1] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=505#comment8

[2] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=505#comment10
[3] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=505#comment11
[4] http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=505#comment3