grub-devel

Re: GRUB 1.95 is released

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: GRUB 1.95 is released
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:04:23 +0200

* Dennis Clarke <address@hidden> [061015 17:35]:
> > * Yoshinori K. Okuji <address@hidden> [061015 16:51]:
> >> * Number partitions from 1 instead of 0. For instance, the first
> >>   partition of "hd0" is now "hd0,1" but not "hd0,0".
> >
> > Hm. What's the reason for being inconsistent here?
> >
> > If changing the partition naming scheme, I would have thought it'd
> > become hd1,1. But why is the first disk 0 and the first partition 1?
> >
> > Using Linux style names might make sense as well... hda1,...
>
> I would prefer a naming style that is not specific to any OS at all.

Good point. (hd0,0) already did that, right?

> So hard disks numbered as "disks" and partitions" as "partition" works real
> well.  Keeping in mind that even a partition is an abstraction as opposed
> to a real thing.

We can continue philosophy and discuss that what grub is seeing as disk
might be an abstraction as well. It might run in vmware, or on some
other hypervisor or emulator.

So do I understand you correctly that, abstracted devices are counted
from 0, whereas physical devices are counted from 1? Is that the rule
this follows?

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: address@hidden  • http://www.coresystems.de/