grub-devel

Re: search command and usb boot

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: search command and usb boot
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:26:25 +0200

Adrián <address@hidden> writes:

> How to find files? With search command.

Yes, but you can also search for a label.  I also would like to make
it possible to search for an UUID.

> 1st problem: Search command tyies to find things on: fd0, fd1, cd and
> maybe nd. (In a hipotetical super grub2 disk it will find the grub2.cfg
> (or whatever file that identifies the grub2 boot) on the cd)

Why is this a problem?

> 2nd problem: When booting from an usb the usb disk becomes hd0 that means
> that grub2 will be ready to reinstall itself to the usb.

I think that's something positive and not a problem, right? ;-)

> Posible solutions:
>
> -except switch: The devices passed to this switch are not searched.

That depends on the problems you want to solve.  I prefer to talk
about problems and how to solve them.  Perhaps there are more elegant
fixes, who knows. :-)

> -hdonly switch :
> =================
>  Only hd* devices are searched.

[...]

> -usb swith: Equal to hdonly switch but hd0 is not searched.

I will think about all this.  I have something more elegant in mind
that will solve this.  Although I still don't see the problem. ;-)

> I have to think which it is the more indicated for me... but which one of
> the forms do you like the most?

This depends on how something in scripting will be implemented.  I
want to give it more thought before bringing it up.

> Maybe we should address the problem about grub2 files being the same at
> the rescue disk and the installed disk... in another way? Propose your
> solution.

This is only a problem when using search to look for files.  I assume
this is what you are talking about?  Thus you can not determine which
disk search will find?

Adding the capability to use UUIDs can solve most of the problems you
encounter.  The (existing) label feature can also be used.  Perhaps
other techniques can be added as well.

--
Marco