grub-devel

Re: some multiboot2 comments

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: some multiboot2 comments
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:32:14 -0500

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 16:11 +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Thursday 26 October 2006 21:58, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > Module:
> > Because of the 'length' field in the tag header, the 'reserved' field
> > isn't actually needed. The 'length' field makes every one of these tag
> > structures inherently variably sized. Any data added later to this tag
> > will be skipped over by the reader.
>
> Only if you can specify tag size separately. In the current draft, the size
> of
> a tag is defined by "length" which describes the real size of the content. So
> if we don't include "reserved", there is no additional space for the future,
> except for a possible padding.

Are you saying that given tag->key == foo, tag->length == sizeof(struct
tag_foo)? I think it makes far more sense to allow 'length' to be
independent of 'key', and that means we don't need this 'reserved'
stuff.

If 'length' is always sizeof(something), then we might as well drop
'length' entirely, and I don't think that would be a good idea.

-Hollis