grub-devel

Re: External library

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: External library
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:15:55 +0100

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 23:38, Jason Morganson wrote:
> I was wondering what the group thinks about the use of external libraries
> in GRUB. Is is acceptable to add this kind of dependency?

If the dependency is reasonable, and if no license/copyright problem exists,
yes.

> Would it be
> alright to say... add a configure option to compile in support for the
> Freetype library?

First I would like to know why you are interested in using FreeType in GRUB.

> If so what is the proper way that you would like this to
> be done, are conditional code blocks enough isolation of the outside code?
> Also, is it possible to do initialization in the GRUB_MOD_INIT macro or is
> there a better place to do this?

That depends. Say, if you load a module, but not really use it, then it is
better to initialize the module later, for example, when a function in the
library is used at the first time. If you load and use it all the time, then
there is no reason to delay the initialization. This is not so specific to
GRUB.

Thanks,
Okuji