grub-devel

Re: My Summer of Code Project

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: My Summer of Code Project
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:17:43 +0200

* Devils-Hawk <address@hidden> [070424 22:06]:
> You should probably have a look at http://www.linuxbios.org/FILO maybe
> you can salvage something. FILO supports booting from ElTorito bootable
> CD media, uses 32-bit mode, and it is free of bios calls. Unfortunately
> its x86 only, although some work has been done to get it running on PPC.

FILO has been used on PPC for quite some time. For simplicity, that
version has been integrated into LinuxBIOS directly though.

There is a GSoC project for porting Grub2 to work in LinuxBIOS. It will
be realized by Patrick Georgi <address@hidden>.

Maybe you guys can join efforts on solving this issue?

I would like to see FILO die. Which will happen once GRUB2 will work on
an x86 machine without 16bit real mode legacy BIOS.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: address@hidden  • http://www.coresystems.de/