grub-devel

Re: pretty colors in gfxterm

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: pretty colors in gfxterm
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 21:04:00 +0200

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 04:39:58PM +0200, adrian15 wrote:

> >CDROM support. Not really important since Debian isn't using GRUB for CD
> >boot atm, but it might be an interesting option for lenny.
> >
> >    * 64-bit detection on x86: needed for multi-arch DVDs.
>
>   In my opinnion Grub2 should be also used for cd boot. To boot from cd I
> mean. This will make Grub2 the live cd standard boot loader and would
> led us to find more bugs that only the ones that appear when you boot
> from a hard disk.
>
>   As long as I know Grub2 boot from a cd is not being developed yet (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2007-04/msg00053.html )
>
>   We will have to wait for it or code it. :)

A simpler solution that would be very useful for Debian is to support
building floppy images (seems to be broken atm).  Even if we can't access
the CD, floppy images can be used with El Torito emulation to provide rescue
CD images that give you a grub shell.

Do you have an idea on how to build these floppy images?  The instructions
about concatenating boot.img with core.img don't work here.

Btw, with grub legacy it was possible to generate these images without need
for root privileges.  We need that for grub2 too.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is address@hidden  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.