grub-devel

Re: TPM chip and Grub bootloader

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: TPM chip and Grub bootloader
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:45:10 +0200

Robert Millan schrieb:
IOW, no matter who the keys belong to, the problem is there's a component in
the hardware I paid for that is hostile to me, which contains keys that I
cannot retrieve (good, because of security), and refuses to use the keys on
anything I want it to (bad, because it's inherently an abusive tool).
As far as I know, this mechanism doesn't prevent you from creating another root. (or just deleting the old one) Not to speak of that it isn't (again afaik) in use or even implemented yet - though I'm unsure about that last part (implementation), as I didn't look too deep into the mud created by those in the media industry that tried to coerce the TCG into implementing their wet dream of an ultimately locked down consumer world.

Patrick Georgi