grub-devel

Re: GSoC: CD-ROM booting options

From: Alex Roman
Subject: Re: GSoC: CD-ROM booting options
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:31:38 -0400

On 04/06/07, Jeroen Dekkers <address@hidden> wrote:
At Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:10:53 +0200,
Marco Gerards wrote:

> "Alex Roman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Personally, I think both are important to support, but I want to see
> > what the majority of developers and users think we should support.
>
> Just focus on one thing first.  I think booting from a BIOS that
> supports CDROMs already won't be too hard.

I think booting installation and live CDs directly from the BIOS will
be the most used way to boot a CD, so I guess support for that is the
most important. And it indeed shouldn't be that hard.

Sounds good.

I think I will start by focusing on "no emulation" mode. ISOLINUX
seems to be using this mode and it makes use of EDD 3.0 INT 13
extensions to read from the CD. The only problem I see here is if we
boot from a BIOS that doesn't support EDD 3.0. We may not be able to
read from the CD in that case, so we would have to use emulation mode.

In any case, I'll keep you all posted on the progress I make.

--
Alex Roman <address@hidden>