grub-devel

Re: grub_prefix

From: Bean
Subject: Re: grub_prefix
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:37:15 +0800

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:54:12PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Is there any reason why grub_prefix is in boot.img rather than core.img ?
>
> This brings problems when the following conditions are met:
>
>   - core.img is loaded directly without boot.img (via GRUB Legacy)
>   - grub is not in /boot/grub (typicaly, when /boot is a separate partition)
>
> If grub_prefix is moved to core.img, then grub-mkimage could be modified to
> override prefix, supporting this setup.
>
> Is this a good way to fix it?

I believe grub_prefix IS in core.img. It begins at 0x21C from the beginning
of core.img. You may also want to modify the variable grub_install_dos_part
at 0x214, for example, if booting from the first partition, set it to 0.

The above variables are defined in kern/i386/pc/startup.S.

--
Bean <address@hidden>