grub-devel

Re: Using GRUB2 for booting from CD

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Using GRUB2 for booting from CD
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:40:35 +0200

"Alex Roman" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I've managed to (finally :( ) use GRUB2 as a bootloader on a CD-ROM.
> It loads the kernel and all modules I tell grub-mkimage to include.
>
> The problem is that it doens't know how to mount the root to be able
> to load other modules, read configuration files, etc. There is an
> iso9660 already there, but how can I tell grub2 to actually mount the
> CD-ROM drive as an iso9660 filesystem?

Does this mean you implemented IDE support, etc? :-)

The filesystem should automatically be detected.  What you can do is
dumping the first sector of the CDROM to see if it is read correctly.

Have a look at grub_iso9660_mount.  It first tries to read the
superblock.  Next it does is checking if it is actually an ISO9660
filesystem (by checking for "CD001").  This function should reach
"return data" if it is indeed a ISO9660 filesystem.

What you could do first is checking if grub-emu can read your
filesystem image.  That way you can easily see if the problem is in my
code or in your code.

--
Marco