Re: Outline menu

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Outline menu
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:37:54 +0200

Amin Azez wrote:
> * Markus Elfring wrote, On 05/11/07 22:01:
>>> And then add something like:
>>> set menumode=outline
>>> set menumode=hierarchical (or normal, default)
>> Can a data format like it is specified by the outline markup language be
>> supported by the GRUB 2 boot loader?
>> Is an alternative specification needed in this context?
> At the same time, can we consider supporting specification of
> alternative short menu texts, suitable for display on 16 character LCD
> screens.
> I'll be doing some work on grub-legacy to support boot menu's on such
> serial-port based displays as soon as I get a firmware update from one
> manufacturer.
> I hope grub 2 can consider this early on.

It will be more modular than old grub legacy hacks. But I fear you need
to hack this yourself :). Basicly current idea is that you just
re-implement viewer/controller module for the menu.

But using both serial (text terminal) and graphical menu could be an
issue that could be solved... could be nice feature for servers as a
backup control.