Chainloading ntldr and grldr from grub2

From: Bean
Subject: Chainloading ntldr and grldr from grub2
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 23:11:51 +0800

The idea actually comes from my previous post about converting
core.img to linux kernel format. Instead of combining the header and
the image, we can make the header separate, and load the image as
initrd. This method can be used to load system images like ntldr and
grldr. For example, to chainload ntldr from grub2:

linux loadbin.bin
initrd ntldr

This method is not limited to grub2, it can also be used in boot
loaders which support the linux kernel format, such as

To compile loadbin.bin, use the following commands:

gcc -nostdlib -DLOADBIN -Wl,-N -o lnxhdr lnxhdr.S
objcopy -O binary lnxhdr lnxhdr.bin