grub-devel

Re: Some grub2 problems/questions

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Some grub2 problems/questions
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:05:53 +0100

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 12:26:03PM -0800, walt wrote:
> Hi grub group.
>
> Beginning with the commits of 2007-10-31 my two Athlon machines won't
> work properly with grub2, and I'd like to find out why.

It's a known problem.  That's when we added the ATA driver.  If you don't
include ata.mod in your core.img, everything should be back to normal.

However....

> The first machine has two ordinary PATA drives on a VIA 8235 controller
> and grub2 complains that the firmware is tainted.  Grub2 will use (ata1)
> okay and lists all the partitions,

Nice.  Is that controller in the PCI bus?  It's strange that you got it
working on real hardware (i.e. not qemu) because PCI wasn't implemented
yet.

> but for the second drive grub2 will
> print only (ata2) without listing any partitions.

As expected.

> The other Athlon machine has one PATA drive on a VIA 8235 controller
> and one SATA drive on a Promise controller.  This machine makes it
> through grub_ata_dumpinfo for both disks but then it hangs forever
> without printing anything else.

Could you re-run this part with `debug' variable set to `ata'
("set debug=ata", then "insmod ata") and see what's the last thing
printed ?

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)