grub-devel

Re: LVM on debian

From: Martin Braure de Calignon
Subject: Re: LVM on debian
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:31:17 +0100

On lun, 2008-01-07 at 23:07 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> Hi Martin!
>
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:10:18PM +0100, Martin Braure de Calignon wrote:
> > I've just try for the first time grub2.
> >
> > I'm on debian/unstable (grub2 version 1.95+20080105)
> > I have only one thing to say. It's simply amazing !
> > I love it !
>
> Glad to hear that.
>
> > I have an lvm /usr partition. And everything works great.
> > I only have to look on /etc/grub.d/10_linux to see what was the variable
> > for command line option of the kernel.
>
> Yeah I'm afraid we lack documentation.  We could use some help on that ;-)

Of course. One possible temporary solution would be to insert all
customization variables in 10_linux and other files in /etc/default/grub
with no value no and a simple comment over it (all the common used
variables). I can try to do it if you want, but I've just discovered
grub2 so it's quite risky.
Is it complicated to convert kopt= options in grub menu.lst to the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX ? in postinst ?

> > So I had to had GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX on /etc/default/grub. I also have to
> > edit /etc/grub.d/00_header because grub does not work if he cannot
> > access to the font (that are on my /usr partition).
>
> There's something wrong here.  update-grub is supposed to detect when your
> /usr is inaccessible and disable font automaticaly.  You mean that it
> falls back to text mode, or that it won't install/boot at all?

Well, when I tried, I had a graphical menu with no entry. I had to type
'ESC' and try to find what was wrong (that's where I discover insert
lvm). If you wan't me to try again somes things, I can. I think it
disable font but try to load graphic mode without font. Is it possible ?

> > Thanks all for your work. Now I'm looking forward to the next upload of
> > grub2 on debian to have TGA image support :-)
>
> I can't yet!  I'm waiting for #459352

So I just need to wait until the next upload of debian-desktop that's it
no ? black color is better for text of course :-). But I'm not
debian-desktop developper. I'm not DD, so I can't upload it :-/

Cheers,
--
Martin Braure de Calignon