grub-devel

Re: grub_dl_unload_all()

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: grub_dl_unload_all()
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:45 +0100

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 20:58, Robert Millan wrote:
> Is GRUB supposed to always call grub_dl_unload_all() when preparing to
> jump into a loaded multiboot image?

Yes.

> How important is it to unload all modules?  What do you suggest?  Do we fix
> everything to unload all modules (is that even possible?)?  Do we unload
> all modules on i386-pc "because we can" and not do this on ieee1275
> platforms?

It is important so that we can make sure that all cleanups are executed before
transferring control. For example, if serial settings have been tweaked by
GRUB, they should be reverted to the original state. At least, this is
considered to be a good manner. Another example is video settings. Let's say,
GRUB changes video mode to show a fancy menu. Some operating systems may not
work well in graphical mode, then GRUB must turn it back to text mode.

Okuji