grub-devel

Re: menu's "default=saved" is need for hibernation on multi-os systems.

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: menu's "default=saved" is need for hibernation on multi-os systems.
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:56:50 +0100

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:21:01AM +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:

> Robert, do you know if Guillem is still willing to work on this?  I
> thought you know him quite well, so I start asking you here.  He had
> some code two years ago when I met him at FOSDEM.  IIRC the problem
> was that we didn't have an elf.mod.  We do have this now.

Guillem says you must be confused.  He was interested in adding support for
kernel of FreeBSD, not grub-set-default.

Franklin, implementing grub-set-default is relatively easy, and a good way
to learn about how GRUB works.

Basicaly, you just need to do something like add a variable similar to this
one:

  ./kern/i386/pc/startup.S:VARIABLE(grub_install_dos_part)

which is initialised in:

  ./util/i386/pc/grub-setup.c:                                   +
GRUB_KERNEL_MACHINE_INSTALL_DOS_PART);

based on predefined offset in:

  ./include/grub/i386/pc/kernel.h:#define GRUB_KERNEL_MACHINE_INSTALL_DOS_PART
  0x14

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)