grub-devel

Re: GRUB_MOD_GAP for non-ieee1275 ELF platforms

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: GRUB_MOD_GAP for non-ieee1275 ELF platforms
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:42:25 -0500

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 09:38 +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

> >> I would prefer to have GRUB_MOD_GAP is all headers.  Once it's not
> >> needed, it could be removed across the board.
> >
> > Ok, does this seem fine?
>
> Am I missing something, or didn't you explain what GRUB_MOD_GAP is
> supposed to do...?  To be honest, I do not know what it is about.

If it's not there, PowerMac OpenFirmware would not load the grub image
made by grub-mkimage.  Instead, it will report "CLAIM failed".

The modules use to be loaded at 3 Mb.  Then they were moved directly
after the core (kernel.elf), which created the problem.  Search for the
shortest gap that doesn't result in "CLAIM failed" indicated that it's
0x8000 (32k).  I tried adding more code to kernel.elf, and the gap of
32k was still sufficient.

I assume that if the result of grub-mkimage is a valid ELF file, like
kernel.elf, "CLAIM failed" would not happen.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin