grub-devel

Re: who want money????

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: who want money????
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:46:26 +0100

On Thursday 31 January 2008 23:35, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I think I told you.  What's the problem?
>
> You may want to copy the message to the personal address.
>
> I guess the mailing list needs to be reconfigured to stop rewriting
> Reply-to, as recommended here:

The author is a typical clever person who assumes that everybody should
migrate to a good mailer. It's too different from the reality.

> My webmail honors the "reply to all" button, but Evolution honors
> "reply-to", and it's quite possible that Evolution is more standard
> compliant.

Not really. No RFC defines what a mail user agent _must_ do with "reply to
all". If I am wrong, let me know.

> If I have a suspicion that the original author is not subscribed, I add
> the personal address to cc:, but it's easy to forget.
>
> The reply-to setting is here (password protected):
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admin/grub-devel
>
> Of course, it's possible that the poster just wants more personal
> attention.  Then it's a pretty good deal :-)

My policy is that Reply-To should be set to a mailing list, if it is a
member-only list, where there is no reason to send a reply to individuals. I
do this, because I frequently observe that people respond to from addresses
when Reply-To is not set. From my point of view, the harm is bigger when not
set.

Okuji