grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:06:54 -0400

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 14:09 +0200, Javier Martín wrote:
> El lun, 16-06-2008 a las 19:47 +0800, Bean escribió:
> > Well, I did some testing a while ago, the result is in:
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2007-12/msg00114.html
> >
> > Even with lzo compressed image core.img, lzma can save up to 5K.
> >
> You mean that even with an already compressed LZO image, LZMA can
> further compress it another 5 KB?

No, it was uncompressed.  GRUB 0.97 doesn't use LZO compression.

Anyway, we need to check savings on the GRUB 2 core image, which is much
shorter than stage2, and factor out the decompressor size.  My gut
feeling is that block sorting algorithms like lzma and bzip2 would be an
overkill, and even switching to gzip would be only marginally useful.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin