grub-devel

Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:14:31 -0400

+#define EXT3_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_RECOVER          0x0004 /* Needs recovery */

+#define EXT2_DRIVER_SUPPORTED_INCOMPAT ( EXT2_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_FILETYPE )

I suspect this will mean that journalled ext3 when the system crashed (so the filesystem "needs recovery" from the journal) won't load. (Of course, properly speaking that would load grub's code to replay the journal...) But I think that (without other changes) that would make the system unbootable every time there was a power outage? (Of course it was not guaranteed to load correctly when ignoring the journal when it needed recovery, but it was likely to work, IIUC.)

-Isaac