grub-devel

Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 16:09:59 +0200

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 02:00:34PM +0200, Javier Martín wrote:
> In the nearly eight years from ext2 release to the merge of ext3 into
> the kernel, some incompatible features were introduced in ext2 proper,
> like filetype and compression. Even now, with ext4 in development and
> merged into the kernel less than five years after ext3, incompatible
> features are being backported to ext2 like the lazy inode initializing I
> mentioned earlier. Those can hit us HARD.

So you're saying we should make our decisions based on the assumption that
Linux developers could be jeopardizing our efforts by introducing incompatible
features by surprise, without any coordination with us, and that distributors
are going to pass those features down to stable releases, knowing that they
break GRUB, and again without any coordination with us?

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)