grub-devel

Re: Warnings in kern/dl.c

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Warnings in kern/dl.c
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:20:17 -0400

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 17:14 +0300, address@hidden wrote:

> I think that using grub-emu might be a good idea for testing. I think
> there should be grub-emu architecture that could be compiled and in
> example there would be grub-emu specific disk layer, input layer and
> so on. So we could use grub-emu almost as same way we can do in real
> runtime environment. I know Marco will be using grub-emu like this on
> his GSoC project and I think it is a good thing too. But it needs some
> work of course.

Yes, that would be a different grub-emu.  Maybe it will be compiled with
the target flags.  Maybe it will need to be disabled if cross-compiling.

> We could do some special testing framework using this method. Eg. we
> could drive user input from special user input module that can be
> controlled from outside.

I'd rather use qemu for testing, as it emulated the whole system.
Anyway, we'll see.

> So please, do not at least remove support for using 64bit modules on
> 64bit systems :) (or otherwise make it harder to be supported later
> on)

OK, let's keep it.  I just don't want to force loading foreign
architecture modules into the executable memory.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin