grub-devel

Re: menu loop (patch)

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: menu loop (patch)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:28:42 -0700

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:06:40 +0200
Carles Pina i Estany <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Jul/19/2008, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:40:43 +0200
> > Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > > What does everyone else think?
> >
> > I think that wrapping around the menu with the arrow keys *can* be
> > useful in some situations, but in general it seems like we should
> > try to be consistent with the common UI behavior that is expected,
> > at least by default.  We could support a setting such as "set
> > menuwrap=1" which would enable this feature for users who care
> > about it.  Then the users who don't care won't miss it, but the
> > users who do care can still have it by adding a single line to
> > grub.cfg.
>
> in one way, add an options for this looks a bit like "overkill" (as
> Robert said). In the other hand, I have my hopes that distributions
> would like it and (mainly) all of them would add this option by
> default :-) so could be a nice way to know what some people think.

I agree it is probably not worth creating an option for.  It is
probably best to just decide to wrap or not to wrap... "that is the
question"  ;-)

> > > Colin, does this affect your graphical menu work in some way?  I
> > > suppose the same situation applies the same way to the upcoming
> > > new menu.  Or perhaps this can be made more flexible and be
> > > toggled by some CSS magic?
> >
> > This would be no problem at all; it's essentially identical to how
> > the text mode menu from normal.mod works.  It could go either way,
> > and certainly would be easy to make it a setting in the theme file
> > (or more likely in a user-configurable place such as grub.cfg (?)
> > -- since we might not expect most users to modify theme files but
> > only choose which one to use).
> >
> > Actually my graphical menu currently *does* wrap around, I guess it
>
> I'm new in this list and in Grub2 (I hvae not used, actually). Are you
> saying that there is some graphical menu that does wrap?

I'm working on a graphical menu system for the Google Summer of Code
2008.  You can find out more about it at:

  http://grub.gibibit.com/Journal

It's not in the GRUB codebase yet, but it under heavy development.

> > seemed logical to me at the time I wrote the code!  8-)  As you can
> > tell, I am not firmly set on either wrapping or not wrapping.
>
> my workmate wanted it, i wanted and I've spoke with my brother and he
> really wanted. But maybe it's because brother-love :-) (this is not
> proving anything, of course)

I'm fine with either option -- I'll just make it consistent with
whatever the core GRUB developers agree on.

Regards,
Colin