Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Issue with boot != root and chainloading
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:49:05 -0400

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 13:00 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:

> Sorry for my third mail, I really should think more before writing :(
> sdb needs to be in else grub-install luckly complains about it.

grub-install always complains about  Even if it does a
single-drive install and never relies on any information in,
it still asks the user to check if is correct.  We should fix
it.  Users should not be constantly bugged to check the whole, only the entries GRUB was relying on, if any.

Better yet, should go away, but not everyone agrees with me.

> But:
> I just did grub-install /dev/sdb, changed boot order in BIOS so grub from sdb
> gets booted
> unknown device fd0,1

As I said, GRUB uses its internal ID instead of BIOS ID.  We need to fix
it.  Until it's fixed, cross-device installs are broken, even if is absolutely correct.

Let's stop discussing symptoms and start talking about the cure.

Pavel Roskin