grub-devel

Re: grub-setup fails with "error message = file not found"

From: Edward Allcutt
Subject: Re: grub-setup fails with "error message = file not found"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:12:22 -0400

Robert Millan wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 01:04:14PM -0400, Edward Allcutt wrote:
Robert Millan wrote:
I suggest you allow GRUB to embed core.img instead by adding a BIOS boot
partitition using Parted.  We still need to trace down the problem with
blocklists, but this will tell us whether the problem is related to this
or something else.
I set the "boot" flag for /dev/sda1 using parted. I hope this is what you meant. grub-setup still fails with the same error and it still mentions "will leave the core image on the filesystem".

The "boot" flag on GPT means "EFI system partition" (this is admittedly
confusing).  There's a flag for bios boot, but only in recent versions of
Parted.  But of course, I wouldn't do that to your existing sda1 unless
you want it to be wiped with GRUB code.
I wish there were another tool supporting GPT. parted is a real pain to use. Still I've got a dedicated "BIOS boot" partition now and grub-setup seems happy to embed core.img on it without any errors.

While my problem is resolved it seems like there's still an annoying bug in either the ext2 driver or whatever else is involved in generating blocklists.

Thanks for the quick responses :)

--
Edward Allcutt
Network Operations