grub-devel

Windows,grub and grub2

From: Viswesh S
Subject: Windows,grub and grub2
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:29:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am back with my Windows boot up question using grub and grub2.Sorry for making the question a bit long.

Some experiments and results which I did.

Scenario: One hard disk,different partitions.

Case 1:

Partition 1 -> Windows Server 2003
Partition 2 -> Swap
Partition 3 -> Linux

Boot loader : Grub2.

Windows boots up successfully from grub2 using chainloading (hd0,1) +1

Case 2:

Installed server 2008 in the free space in between Server 2003 and swap.

Partition 1 : Windows server 2003
Partition 2: Windows server 2008
Partition 3 :Swap
Partition 4:Linux

Grub2 doesnt boot up windows with the command chainloader (hd0,1) +1, with error

A disk read error occurred
Ctrl+Alt +del to restart.

But Grub legacy boots up with no issues , with the same command, prefixed with rootnoverify hd0

Case 3:

Partition 1 :Boot
Partition 2:Windows
Partition 3: Linux

Same behaviour : Grub2 doesnt boot Windows with chainloader command (hd0,2) +1

Same error as before.

Not surprisingly grub boots with the same command.

I had a look at the boot sector code of Windows, which gets copied, by dumping the partition using dd.

For me, it looked the same.

Also another hunch is that,as the error ( A disk read error occurred ),, happened in Windows boot sector, find the areas in boot sector code of Windows where it calls this error and goes into an infinite loop.

So in the different cases, I could see that it is something to do with the INT 13 call, with functions 41 and 42.

Can anyone let me know the differences here, with respect to grub2 and grub.

Also,on more thing is the way chainloader command is written in grub and grub2.I was finding it difficult to decode the assembly parts in both and find out the differences.

Can anyone pour some advice and directions on these.

Thanks in advance,

Viswesh