grub-devel

Hiddenmenu for grub2

From: Niko Cavallini Araya
Subject: Hiddenmenu for grub2
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:13:01 -0600

Hi, this week I made a clean debian sid install and decided to install
grub2 (grub-pc) instead of -legacy. It is working nicely, great job
there! Thank you!

I wanted to add the "hiddenmenu" functionality found in grub-legacy, to
this end I came across the previous version of
http://grub.enbug.org/Hiddenmenu

I got carried away and did a few (3) modifications that offer support for
the legacy "hiddenmenu" functionality from /etc/default/grub. the idea
is that its clear and easy to turn on but its off by default.

First is /etc/grub.d/03_hiddenmenu
_________
#!/bin/sh
# This is to provide legacy "hiddenmenu" from /etc/default/grub

if [ "x${GRUB_HIDDENMENU}" = "xtrue" ]; then
 cat << EOF
echo -n "Press ESC to enter the menu... "
if sleep --verbose --interruptible ${GRUB_TIMEOUT} ; then
 set timeout=${GRUB_TIMEOUT}
else
 set timeout=-1
fi
EOF
fi
_________

Second added this to /etc/default/grub

_________
# Uncomment to hide the menu (use 'ESC' to display)
#GRUB_HIDDENMENU=true
_________

And finally added GRUB_HIDDENMENU in the optional
user defined vars in update-grub

I chose to use 03 so that nothing is shown at boot time
unless there is a need for it. timeout=-1 so that there is
no timeout after the menu is shown. All this can be
added in 00_header to avoid setting timeout twice.

I tested this with and without graphical terminal.

How does this all look?

--
Saludos
 Niko