grub-devel

Re: [RFC] I suggest to add -Wall to autoconf and autoheader calls

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: [RFC] I suggest to add -Wall to autoconf and autoheader calls
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 19:40:10 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 04.09.2008, 12:44 -0400 schrieb Pavel Roskin:
> Fine, but only if we decide to fix the existing warnings.  I'm not sure
> it's worth the trouble.  Just because a macro is considered obsolete,
> it's not necessarily broken.  End users won't run Autoconf, so they
> won't have problems if a newer Autoconf removes an obsolete macro.

All obsolete things should be mostly fixed by running `autoupdate'
For fixing the other kind of warnings I'll need to find out more about
that autoconf stuff.

With -Wall hopefully someone notices that he just introduced a warning
with his change and trys to fix this before commiting.

> Compiler warnings are more likely to indicate a problem with the
> compiled code than autoconf warnings.  They can also indicate problems
> with different compilers, and users will use different compilers.

This would be just more consistent.
But yes for the compiler and so for the code itself this is more
important.

--
Felix Zielcke