grub-devel

RE: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 55, Issue 35

From: Greg White
Subject: RE: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 55, Issue 35
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:24:56 -0500

>As far as I know, the "root=" line is passed as one of the parameters to
>the booting kernel, so it shouldn't matter what version of Grub you're
>using.  For instance, if you're running Linux, look at the Linux kernel
>documentation for the kernel in /Documentation/kernel-paraemeters.txt --
>you'll see that one of the parameters the kernel takes is the "root="
>parameter -- and that support is there regardless of you use an initrd
>image or not.
>
>The label that you need to enter in "root=LABEL=" is the label on the
>desired PARTITION, not the drive's VOLUME label.  'cfdisk' can list the
>partition labels along with the device names on the disk.  For doing a
>double-check, have a look at the 'findfs' command.

kernel-parameters.txt:
root=           [KNL] Root filesystem

I know I need the root= parameter.  I need a way to point to a label instead of
hard coding a dev entry and no initrd.

I tried root=LABEL=WD320G in menu.lst and it didn't work.  I used e2label to
label the hard drive.

Here is the output from cfdisk:
                                  cfdisk 2.12r

                              Disk Drive: /dev/sdc
                       Size: 250059350016 bytes, 250.0 GB
             Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 30401

    Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]        Size (MB)
    sdc1        Boot        Primary   Linux ext3       [WD320G]    249637.25
    sdc2                       Primary   Linux swap
419.49

findfs LABEL=WD320G
/dev/sdc1

My /etc/fstab looks like this and works:
LABEL=WD320G / auto defaults 1 1
aufs / aufs defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 # AutoUpdate
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 # AutoUpdate

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

PS I know the drive is 250GB but labeled 320G.