grub-devel

Re: Keyboards

From: BandiPat
Subject: Re: Keyboards
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:30:46 -0500

Felix Zielcke wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 04.02.2009, 16:17 -0500 schrieb BandiPat:

1. Is it possible to set the keyboard layout for grub? It's always hard to find the right characters at lilo prompt.

No.

2. The only real advantage is, that I don't have to run lilo after kernel updates? I still have to edit the config file for my self compiled kernel updates?

Yes or rerun grub-mkconfig.
On Debian/Ubuntu there is /etc/kernel-img.conf where you can specifiy a
postinst_hook which calls update-grub (which is just a stub for
grub-mkconfig)

set root=(hd0,2)
linux (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.*.* root=/dev/sda2 ro splash=silent vga=794
}
Which would list all vmlinuz-2.6.*.* kernels as menuentry and automatically set the highest version number as default. This would be cool :-D

Good idea but that isn't currently possible I think.

Ok, thanks Felix, maybe these questions will be some good suggestions for you guys to think about adding. I can see where the keyboard thing might be helpful, but the other just seems to be a matter of running grub-mkconfig, as it's pretty thorough in it's operation.

I have a suggestion, question or recommendation, also. When Grub2 boots to the loader screen, could you guys change the heading? From: GNU GRUB versioni 1.96 to either GNU GRUB2 or GNU GRUB2 version 2.0? Since 1.96 is over one year old, it's kinda obsolete now compared to the latest svn, plus it seems appropriate to show this is GRUB2, not GRUB.

Just a thought,
Pat

--
       ---Zenwalk v6.0--Linux 2.6.28---